A Week to Change Direction will be a week of action, advocacy, culture change and fundraising for organizations, corporations, universities, communities, and individuals! Our aim is to increase knowledge, raise awareness and increase support for efforts that are working to change the culture of mental health globally so that all in need receive the care and support they deserve.
Check out the press release from May 29th!
Schedule of Events
- May 16, 2PM est: Mental Health Month Twitter Chat hosted by @signsforchange
- June 9-15: A Week to Change Direction
- June 10: Facebook Live with Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen, Founder & President, Give an Hour
- June 14, 2PM est: Twitter Chat hosted by @signsforchange
During this special week focused on global and local efforts, we will invite participating organizations and individuals to engage in activities that best reflect their unique strengths, skills and passions.
It’s Easy to Get Involved! Here are some Examples:
- Create a video promoting the Five Signs of Emotional Suffering/Healthy Habits of Emotional Well-being and challenge 5 others to learn/share (ice bucket challenge model).
- Support Challenge: Create a short list of trusted individuals that you can reach out to in times of need and support. Keep this list in your wallet. On social media challenge others to create their list too!
- On social media, challenge 5 friends to become a Campaign to Change Direction pledge partner and to share the Five Signs of Emotional Suffering with 5 of their friends.
- Reach out to someone you have not spoken to in a while and schedule a visit to check in! Start a conversation with them about the Healthy Habits of Emotional Well-being—ask them their favorite way to relax or take care of themselves. If appropriate, post a selfie with them and give them a shout out! Remind others how important it is to connect and reach out.
- Create Rock Art: paint/write nice encouraging messages and/or the Five Signs on rocks and place them around town or your office building for people to find them. When you find one, hide it somewhere else to brighten someone else’s day. Share on social media your collection of rocks before you hide them!
- Bring your pet to work week. Pets help us relax, which is one of our Healthy Habits! Encourage members of your organization or employees to take a picture with their pets at work, post using #ChangeDirection.
- Start a book club: read a book with a mental health or self-care focus. At the first meeting, talk about the importance of mental well-being and have everyone take home a Five Signs and Healthy Habits poster to hang up! Suggested book: “Life After Suicide” by Dr. Jennifer Ashton. This book is helping to change the culture by addressing this painful issue directly.
- Be the first FIVE to register to read this book at your book club and receive a SIGNED BOOK by Dr. Ashton!! Share your reactions, thoughts, and helpful tips from your own experiences here as well!
Register for A Week to Change Direction
Step 1: Join US! Register Today!
Fill out this quick form to let us know what you or your organization will be doing during this week and how you will be sharing the Five Signs of Emotional Suffering.
Step 2: Toolkit
After you sign up, check out the toolkit of ideas and tools for your projects, events, and conversations!
Make sure to use the #ChangeDirection hashtag in all your social media posts to join the conversation!
Questions? Email email@example.com.
A Week to Change Direction will also feature a very unique and powerful opportunity for our sponsors and participants! All will be invited to participate in the first ever global two-day conversation focused on mental health hosted by IBM.
Select sponsors will serve as topic hosts during this global strategic discussion. They will join celebrities and subject matter experts for chats that will inspire, challenge and enlighten us!
Real-time data mining will identify themes for future efforts and IBM Watson Analytics will distill ideas for actionable results. This unique opportunity will pave the way for the work ahead of us in Toronto in November!
Want to know what we will be discussing during the Jam?
Check out the questions!
- Cultural Barriers: What indicators tell us that we are making progress in changing the culture around mental health – and what are the barriers that are the most difficult to remove?
- Education: How can we work collectively – and what are the best tools available to us – to reach more people with the basic information that will drive mental health culture change?
- Policy: If our goal is to ensure access to effective mental health care – which includes treatment for substance use disorders – how can we successfully and consistently create and implement policies that support this goal?
- Prevention: How can we encourage communities and healthcare systems to adopt models and programs that focus on prevention – as well as early identification – to ensure that those in need get the help they deserve?
- Trauma: What are the barriers that prevent effective responses and care for those experiencing trauma and what programs and efforts are working well?
- Work Environment: How can we encourage the business community to move more quickly to adopt policies and practices that support a mentally healthy workforce?
Check out the projects and see the global participation!
How YOU #ChangeDirection
WHY WE COLLABORATE
Mental Health is critical to everyone. Unfortunately, limited funding, resources and cultural stereotypes prevent people from receiving help when they need it.
According to the World Economic Forum, mental illness will account for more than half of the economic burden of disease over the next two decades – more than cancer, diabetes and chronic respiratory diseases combined.
Between 76% and 85% of people with mental disorders receive no treatment in low and middle income countries. In high income countries, between 35% and 50% people with mental disorders receive no treatment.
Change Direction Jam
Due to an overwhelming response from our partners, we have decided to postpone the Change Direction Jam to give everyone interested, the opportunity to participate in the Change Direction Jam!
We are thrilled to announce that we are NOW hosting this Global Conversation on Mental Health Culture Change on World Mental Health Day! Our conversation will start on October 10th and extend until midday on the 11th.
Please provide your name and email address so we can keep you informed about our exiting line up of thought leaders and special guests. We will let you know when registration is open!
Sponsors & Partners